Joyous Home

Crisco vs. Butter - Our Butter Pie Crust Recipe

Well, I had a really good lesson, I should have known better. I wanted to make pie crust really quick and not have to mess with chopping up butter (BAD GIRL!) My daughter had needed Crisco for her icing class, and there it was, all simple and ready in that can. :eatI thought, well, I used to use that, it used to be so quick...

What a mistake. My youngest and I tried and tried to get that stuff to look like our dough, and honestly, I don't know what it was! She was lookin at me... I tried to reassure her I knew what I was doing. Don't ever be tempted to use that stuff. I put it right in the trash.

Here is the butter recipe - posted here before I even get my apple tart on the blog! Below is my finished apple tart. 

In a bowl, combine 2 1/2 c. flour, 1 tsp. sugar, and 1 tsp. of salt. Chop 1 1/2 sticks of butter and place in the food processor. Add the flour mixture and 1/4 c. of ICE water. You may need to add up to a 1/4 c. more. The video helps a little to see the consistency before dumping out onto the counter to make discs to chill. 

Here is how easy the crust will mix up in a food processor. My favorite method for biscuits too. 

apple-tart-joyoushome.jpg

When I make pie crust, I use my grandma's recipe that calls for Crisco and it turns out just fine. How did the Crisco look when you put it in? Half melted or all solid?

@Miss_Lorrie It was solid, not even old. We used to use it all the time. We prefer the taste of butter so switched years ago, I just haven’t worked with it much since, oh it was terrible. :confused

@Joyous Home that's strange. Butter is better for you anyway. I don't make pies that often (I may make 3-4 pies a year), so I don't mind using Crisco since it is what my grandma's recipe calls for. 

• Like 1